Thursday 11 September 2014

PostMan Chrome App: A web developer's light saber

Updates:
Postman is no more a Chrome App, it runs standalone which I think is nicer. The functionality has not changed much. I use it more nowadays and I intend to use the collections for testing of my organisation's  API system in future. I also love the fact that I can store the response from my previous API calls so that I can have a snapshot store.
  
Now to the original post


Tall claim perhaps

But in two days of using this tool, this has become an indispensable tool in my arsenal and I am kicking my back for not using this tool before. Thanks to the guys stack-overflow who pointed me into this direction.

A little bit about the tool: It helps in developing and debugging those web-api's without need of developing clients for that. A REST Client to see how your REST API behaves on the various inputs.

Installing is a breeze.

The interface is super simple. It would take in the URI of the API and the type of request.  Now according to the API, we can provide variety of inputs. 
For form-type input the tool provides a neat interface to do where we can provide key-value pair and even allows file attachment (Big Relief)
For JSON ( which has become almost indispensible with AJAX calls ), you choose the "raw"type input and an additional selection on what type of raw input gives the option for JSON. 

Press SEND to get it running and the results are displayed below the input given. 

The tools also stores history of the REST calls made and that makes it easier to create complicated inputs in a progressive manner. Any comments on better tools like this would be so much appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment